novice welding equipment

I want to learn to weld. That being said, what is the best to learn on that will be useful for 3/16 and tubing for cages and square stock for future projects? I want some thing I can grown with/into. Any thoughts?

there is a guy in florence where I got my welder, I'll see if I can find his #. I got my 220 for $450 with gas bottle. Come over one night and you can try out mine.

I bought a Hobart Handler 187 about a year and a half ago and love it. I walked into a Tractor supply with $700 and came out with a top of the line welder, helmet, and upgrade .35 wire and tips. Best investment I've ever made. I've got a setup to weld with gas but usually find myself just using flux core since welding with gas requires a wind/breeze free environment and for me that's not possible since most of my work is done in the driveway. It's very easy to learn on and use and will burn up to 5/16" single pass all day long. I've NEVER had a weld to break on any custom made part on any vehicle where this welder was used and I drive mine like a competition buggy most of the time.

I know people knock them, but I use a 220v harbor freight mig. It will do up to 5/16 with flux core and 1/4 with gas and it has a wheel kit and place to put the gas bottle on the back. Got the welder and the auto dark helmet for around $200. My only problems are that the cords (power, ground, and gun) are short and you have to add a plug to the power cord. But I've learned to deal with these characteristics and I have no complaints. The welder will put down a nice bead and I'm not a professional welder by any means. My dad has a used Hobart Handler 120 and I've as successful, if not more successful with this welder in comparison. I settled on this welder because I really couldn't afford a $700 welder then, and I still can't. Oh, on a side note, I've found petroleum jelly works purty good at keeping spatter off the gun tip.

--Justin

If your trying to learn, buy a cheap lincoln stick off craigslist. Read and watch youtube videos to learn the basics and practice like hell. Im a welding student now and still learning, we start out stick welding and work our way through TIG. I got a hobart 140 for christmas and been trying to teach myself how to mig weld, I can stick weld one handed better then i can mig only because i haven't practiced mig very much and stick weld 20+ hrs a week. Learn how to stick weld then spend some money on a nice mig, a 110v would probably do most of what you want and are cheaper, and for the bigger stuff you can use the stick(220v).

Buy a Hobart 140 and don't look back...if and when you decide you want a larger unit the 140 will still be useful for helping friends out where 220 isnt accessible. My 140 has burned everything in that I've needed it to including cagework, axle brackets, motor mounts, anchor points, etc. I've done a little work for several members here with it and none of them have had any issues. I recently ripped my left rear leaf spring bracket off the frame of my Samurai, but the welds didn't give up...the factory metal did...that's my fault too though since I didn't support it enough...lesson learned.

I own a mobile welding business and I'm a die hard Lincoln Electric fan. But for a beginner those Hobart Handler 187's are hard to beat for the price.