Home Brew Tube Notcher from SCOUT4x4 on Pirate

Been toying with the idea of building my own notcher, figured today was as good a day as any.

I've got about $50 bucks in it.

Started with an old winch roller and fold up jack

DSCN2556.jpg

Took the roller apart (it'll make sense in a minute)and got to work on the jack. Cut the mount off in order to get it spaced down since I was mounting it upside down to my shop table and using my vise to hold the tube.

DSCN2557.jpg

Trailer jacks have a dimple in the body that keep the leg in a track & prevent it from spinning. That was a problem for me b/c I needed the leg to spin in order to get different angles of notches. I decided to take the jack apart and cut the dimple out (pic is after i put it back together)

DSCN2570.jpg

Since i had removed the dimple the leg was now free to spin. Now all I needed was a way to keep it in place while notching. I already had it apart so the Simple fix was to drill a hole, weld in a nut with a set bolt. (pic is after i put it back together)
DSCN2571.jpg

Now back to the roller: In order to make my notcher i took the long bolt, choped the head off and threaded it

DSCN2559.jpg
DSCN2560.jpg

screwed the holesaw on, slide it in the short roller and blam

DSCN2564.jpg

I needed a little more surface on the foot to mount my notcher so i cut the foot down a little and mounted a piece of 1/4" plate on top

DSCN2576.jpg

Then mounted the jack upside down back on the table
DSCN2577.jpg

now that i had an adustable height/rotating base I cut some some plates and welded the notcher on top.
DSCN2581.jpg