Oil Circulation on steep climb

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The last time I was a Gulches trying to climb the slab in TNT (twice), my jeep (2002 TJ, 4.0 6cyl) started to beep at me to check my gauges. And upon checking as instructed I noticed my oil pressure was at 0. I quickly completed the climb and once the jeep was sitting level it regained pressure quickly. A quick note on this. Both times the Jeep beeped at me, I stalled it right before the beeping. So a couple questions.

1. Would the pressure had been fine if I didn't stall it or would it have went to 0 either way.
  2. What can be done to maintain pressure on extreme angles like that? (technique or equipment) ... besides the obvious, don't do it.
  3. How long can I safely let it beep at me before I should back down and let it recover?

Technically any loss of oil pressure could be catastrophic. With that disclaimer.....
I have seen that happen several times, for extended periods(3-4min) with no ill effects. It was most likely the stall that caused the drop in pressure. I'm just guessing, but it's most likely your oil filter. (what brand is it). The anti drain back valve in an oil filter can fail, or some just don't work at all. At that extreme angle the top of the motor would dump oil back down very fast. I doubt that it lost lubrication, but more likely lost the circulation. With quality oil it may tap a bit, but should be more than protected for short durations.

Side note...
I'm not certain, but I believe it was 02 that jeep went to an idiot gauge. They ditched the actual sensor & gauge, and went to a switch & preset gauge. It may as well be an idiot light. I'll try to remember to check on that. I know my 03 is but not dead sure of an 02.

Well what oil are you running? I run recommended 20% Lucas in my 4.0 and experience very little fluctuation from level on all fours to nearly upside down.

mine does the same thing, I dont know if it is a problem. it did it with 62k miles on it and it still does it with 180k miles on it every now and then on a steep climb if I am up on an incline for a while. Actually, i think mine came on in the trenches at bumpus cove if I remember right. I know it has done it at tellico before. And it did it at harlan on white tail.