XJ tire carrier

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I need a place to put my spare... I'm running 31's, and don't plan on going bigger than 32, maybe 33 in the future. I don't really want a swing out carrier on the rear because I never liked having my rear window blocked on the Explorer. I also don't want the weight hanging off the back.

So, I was thinking safari rack with tire mount. But, those are expensive and it would only be used to carry the tire and maybe spare axles/driveshafts. So, I'm thinking something like this:

http://www.rockratz.com/tcr1x.html

I don't really like the single bar mount. I saw some talk of an original Mopar accessory that isn't made any more that was an X mount that fit in the roof rail tracks.

Has anybody seen anything else like this?

Heck, fold the back seat down and lay it flat in the back. XJ's have all the room you'll ever need even with a FS spare in the back.

That was logical, now my real opinion.... :la:

If you have the time and material then go for it! It's your machine, make it exactly what you want it to be.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've always heard carrying your spare like that prematurely dryrots it.
Don't really care about that... Spare tire was free anyway (thanks Greg). I'm really thinking tire and spare shafts on the roof just for wheeling. Take it off and put the stock spare on the stock mount for everyday use... as long as I'm open/open the smaller tire should be ok.

JR, I did the tire in the back thing for a while in the Explorer. It takes up way too much space for what I carry, especially camping :).

I have tossed around the idea of a HD roof rack with a wind shield kinda like the ski racks. The guy I was designing it for actually sold his XJ and went to a sammy, so it never happened.
What I was working on was a latching, fold over rack that would drop down to roughly the window level for access.
Let me know if your interested, I can try and find my cad sheet on it.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
So I'm going with tire on the roof in a safari rack. I plan to mount a plate to the rack with threaded rod through centre of wheel.

I need ideas on how to make a lockable t handle or Y handle to tighten down on the wheel.

xjlock.png

the plate with two holes holds the rim down. The threaded rods go through the center of the rim.

or you could simplify it and put the hold in the middle of the single threaded rod