Looking for used 4x4 pickup

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Looking for a used 4x4 pickup truck. Preferably Ford. 80's or 90's. In decent shape, southern truck with minimal rust, runs good. Not looking to spend a lot (max $3000). This will be for my niece in Ohio. Let me know if you have anything or run across a deal.

Good luck with the search. Naturally I want to say look for a Toyota but I didn't see you mention anything about automatic or manual. Toyota is the best used truck to buy IMO for longevity, reliability and in that price range. But most are manuals.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
No, I think vehicles actually start rusting at the dealership as they come off the hauler. As for a toyota, I like them but my family is very pro Ford. My dad (her grandpa) is retired from Ford. So we are pretty dedicated. But if I found a good deal, I could be persuaded. And my brother wants to get her an automatic.

You cant beat a toyota pick up. For the money and reliability i'd pick one over a ranger. They are a dime a dozen and can be had for cheap.

Used car lots are wanting way to much for used Toyotas. Or anything for that matter. I just checked a few places online and some are wanting as much as $6,000 for an '80s model stumpjumper with 160K on it. :eeek:

I will say the Rangers are nice too. I had a '97 2wd Ranger when I was in high school and liked it OK. It was my first car and like most ended up flipped over upside down in the woods. Good luck finding a reasonably priced Ford with a good automatic transmission though.

Another option is a comanche. You can find them all day long for 3000 but make sure its a southern MJ as they tended to have a rusting issue.

And brooks i'm flicking you off. :flipoff2:

Aye! The C4 and C6 were good autos in the 70's but everything made after that wasn't. Find an old F150 with a 351 Modified, C6, 205, 44 front, 9" rear.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
She would like a full size ford. I'm looking for an F150 or 250. But finding something decent in my price range is not easy.

I know of a 98 dodge ram 5.9 long bed reg cab auto with rebuilt trans and new tires 155k miles for $2,800 I was going to buy but im planning for something else. The guy said he would work on price too.

fords are great vehicles. our 1995 explorer has 200k and only had its trans rebuilt at 192k as preventative maintance. Other than that, an idler pulley, alt, and a rack and pinion. And we have had it for a looong time and have all the service records and that is legitimatley all that has been done. Our 02 e250 van has been great as well. almost 10 years of hard work and lots of very heavy towing and it has never seen a wrench.