Explorer problems!

Ok so i just got this explorer two months ago from my girls dad. It is a 96 4.0 2wd auto with 220k on it now. So enterprise was the first owner till about 30k then her dad got it and drove it to about 200k and then I pick it up from him in great shape minus a few minor things. I just drive the Exp to work and back about 10-20 miles per day.

Well I talked with a few local places! One shop told me that a servo or something could be grabing the belt and not releasing. Which is what it feels like because when you put it in reverse it goes a few inches then locks up and leaves a nasty skid mark. The other shop told me just becasuse the reverse is out that it needs a complete over haul is this even make sense?

I hate to let it go since the motor runs like a top, it has new tires, ball joints, rack and pinnion, and controol arms, but their is no way in hell I will pay $1,500 to rebuild a trans!

Well got it all figured out! Just left the lost the Reverse case is cracked so they would have to do a complete overhaul around $2k-$2300 depending on hard parts and tourque converter!