Ram-Rod

Figured I would document my build thread here. Just to have a track of it later down the road. And to hear all of yall's comments be them good or bad. All of this came about after our first visit to the Hush Hole. Lots of muddy/rocky climbs that the 4runner was just getting denied on. The hills are not it's friend due to the weight. So, the decision was it's buggy time. Well after about a month of research and looking at chassis I decided I liked the M&M Fab buggy. Idea was to put all of my running gear into that and make a light weight buggy. After looking at all of costs and the idea that it may still not be exactly what I wanted I scratched that idea. Then decided hey, ill just chop up the 4runner and truggy it out and put a 2.7 in it and it will be more of the buggy I was looking for. Yeah, well that would be cool but still a lot of work and money for soemthing that was still not exactly what I was looking for.

Couple weeks skip along and I make a rediculous offer on a buggy project I found online. Well, the guy bites on the deal as it was a trade with some cash and he looks as it as more then I did I assume.

Story goes he was having a guy in GA build it and ran out of money I assume. The builder is very reasonable IMO so I chose to have him finish what the original owner was going to do. Mainly as #1 I don't have the time, and #2 I don't have the ability to bend the tube and have it look the way I want it. I think I could do most of the fab stuff between me and my brother but I don't trust myself to be in it after I do it the way I like to drive.

Anyway here are the specs:
Full tube chassis 1 3/4 tube DOM main frame and HREW filler bars. FJ-40 Hood
5.3 Vortec (will have LS2 intake, cam not sure of specs as it hasn't been ordered, fuel injected obviously)
TH 350
Stak 3 speed with 5.44:1 low gear
60 Front with Yukon shafts
14 Bolt rear
4:10 Gears
Coilovers and air bumps
DOM links (for now may go alum lowers later) 1 1/4 and 7/8 heims.
4 Link Front and Rear
Wheelbase we are looking around 110-114"
Belly of 20-22"

Right now it has 42" tires on 15" beadlocks. First idea was to **** can those as I have ran stickys for 2 years but I think I am gonna cut them up and try the waters with the redneck tires atleast for a while. If they don't work as planned I will probably go back to the Krawler.

It will come home as a roller with steering ready. Basically I will have to wire it, plumb it, skin it, etc. The small tedious expinsive ****....

Pictures will all be cell pics unfortunately as I am 3+ hours away from the builder.

buggy2.jpg

buggy3.jpg

buggy4.jpg

buggy5.jpg

buggy8-1.jpg

buggy7-1.jpg

buggy6-1.jpg

Last edited:

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Wow, if the previous owner only made it that far and ran out of money, he really didn't know what he was getting into. Looks great. I love the cage design. Can't wait to see it come along.

Wow, if the previous owner only made it that far and ran out of money, he really didn't know what he was getting into. Looks great. I love the cage design. Can't wait to see it come along.
Ha, I think he had wife issues. All of the parts less the axle shafts and front truss came with the project. I would say he had no shorter than 12K in parts and chassis. Not real sure though.

And thanks, Hope it turns out as good as I think it will.

Nice! Sounds like a bombproof combination. Makes things a lot more simple when there's not a separate frame and body to deal with.

Make it street legal, that would be awesome!

That would be a grand idea. I am somewhat computer-tarted. Let me get on top of that.

And street legeal went out my window a while back(as cool as that would be). Thats why I bought the little 4runner. Gonna lock it up and keep it on 31's and IFS. Camper/light duty wheeler.

Yeah, the builder has built mostly rockwell stuff. I know which rig your talkin about and I have always been a fan of it. It's a little bigger than what I had in mind in the begining but I think i will like the bigger buggy much better since I do a lot of trail riding also. I am ready to get this damn thing home and in the shop.