Pretty trick 8.8

Been trying to learn and look into trussing the 8.8 for a rear 4link and came across this bad boy. Put in a good bit of work but looks pretty sick and i bet its stout as hell. Think its worth shaving? http://www.code4x4.com/projects/axle_88/axle_88.html

As far trussing an axle goes, is there any science to it? Gonna try and take it in to class sometime and weld the tubes up. Was thinking about making it out 2x4 box and then plating it in.

some pics from the link for those who cant open it.
F88_02.jpg
88truss.jpg
88truss1.jpg
88truss2.jpg

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'm no engineer, but the bottom of that pumpkin looks pretty thin after his machining. Looks vulnerable. (the pics you included in this post does not show it but if you go to the link, you can see it clearly) Looks like something I would crack open on a boulder.

People do that pretty much same thing to a 14 bolt all the time and only problem I'd ever heard of is some leak from welding it wrong I guess. I'd think what he did would be plenty strong enough.

why do all that to an 8.8? if I was going to sink some money in the rear axle with the crazy truss i would be looking at a hi-9 or Rock Jock 60 center.

Ya the most i would think about doing is shaving it. I get hung up a little bit on 35s but its not horrible. Biggest issue i have is rocks prying the cover off. That truss seems a little over the top. The removable aspect of its pretty cool but i dont know when id ever use it.

I didnt even pay attention to the retubing until i looked at it again. I just thought the shave and plating of the truss looked pretty bad *** and i'd never seen anyone shave a 8.8 before. I'm sure he probably doesn't have near as much money in that as you'd think as it seems he did most of it himself, and had access to a lot of tools. I do think it is mighty obsessive how much work he did to the truss and all, i would of just started with a different center too, even when he hadn't even geared or locked it yet.

I like how he tied the two holes on the front where the vibrator ring was into the truss.

What are those little links doing going from the top of the diff down to the axle tube doing?
For your application I don't see any point in a truss.

putting a force down on the axle tubes so they are less likely to bend, the problem would then be they will bend right past where the links tie into the tubes...the way they have it setup.