Ignition Question?

Has anyone ever had to hold there key foward just a bit to get their radio to stay on? I replaced cylinder with no luck and am going to replace switch this afternoon. Just wondering if thats gonna get it done or if it could be a relay or solenoid. Thx

Yea I guess that would help. 98 TJ aftermarket radio. If I hold the key foward just a hair, I hear a click under the dash and radio comes on. I think this new switch will handle it. Maybe mine is worn out from decade of heavy keychain hangin on it.

Common issue. It's the actual mechanical part of the ignition. It wears down over time and the plunger doesn't keep good pressure against the connection. Im just to lazy to fix mine now. It's caused by having a heavy ring of keys in the switch.

Question - Why or how is the ignition switch holding power to everything else in the run position except the radio until you push it forward a hair?
Are the wipers, and other accs. affected when this happens? if so then I can see it being the switch.

Last edited:
The switch fixed it. Turns out it was also causing the jeep not to start. It would not start at all, just turn over. I put the new switch in and it fixed that and radio.