Power Steering

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Trying to plan ahead here. Looking for weak points in my rig. I think the next project is to take a look at my power steering. I'm hoping you guys can educate me. After lifting the TJ and going to the locker with 35's, I notice steering issues on the trail. Also as time passes on the trails it gets worse. I assume that is my power steering fluid getting too hot/foaming. So...

1. What can happen if I do nothing and leave it the way it is?
  2. What common modifications are recommended? Will just an inline cooler be enough?
  3. Is a hydro assist needed to take care of this whole issue?

I was looking around and came across this thread, what's your thoughts on this style cooler?

Thanks for your help.

hydro assist would be a nice add-on but for the time being a nice big powersteering coole would work wonders. We had to do that to the explorer because it would overheat so quick.

I added a cooler to mine before I had hydro assist and it seemed to help with the heat and whining. Also, I have had great luck with the amsoil hydraulic tractor fluid staying much cooler than PS fluid.

The cooler in that thread actually works better on a frame rail, or was designed for a frame rail. You will get far better heat dissipation with a conventional radiator style cooler.
I have had all sorts of steering issues, and added a coer as well, but the cooler isn't gonna do ya any good unless you can get enough volume of fluid passing through it.
My cooler is 3/8" inlet/outlet with a 5/8" dual pass tube. It's done great, and the PSC PS. pump gives me the volume that I need for the cooler to work.

Last edited: