Jeep Cherokee rear bumper with tire carrier - Upstate SC, $200 OBO

I am selling my Rear tire carrier bumper. This bumper is homebrew, built by my club president when I was in college. It has been on my jeep for about 5 years now. Bumper is located in Clemson, SC. I would be willing to drive about an hour and half to meet halfway to deliver. I am an intern physician, so I work about 80 hours/week, so it may take a while.

I am selling it because I am gonna go with a rigidco or aj's offroad bumper.

Price is $200 OBO.

The good:
The base is 3/16" tube steel. It has the standard bumper mounting points, plus subframe mounting with an additional 3 bolts per side.

The tire carrier uses a trailer spindle, mounted on the driver's side, and easily holds a 33" tire (which I have on now). It locks with a u-bolt that was modded to thread onto a stud welded to the bumper. The tire carrier is very short, with the tire mounted very close to the spindle, to minimize torque on the spindle and bumper.

There is a 2" receiver mounted through the bumper face.

Departure angle is excellent

The bad:
This thing works great as a recovery point, when the force is straight on from the tow point. HOwever, it is not a great tow point, as there is some leverage with the through mounted receiver. Additionally, since it sits pretty high in the rear, you need a sizeable drop hitch, which adds more leverage. It is fine for a smaller 4'x6' trailer, or a lightly loaded 5'x8' trailer, but you won't be towing larger boats with this. This could be improved with angle box tube welded in place of the flat bar that mounts on the frame rail to provide more stiffness.

If you are looking for a high clearance, lightweight bumper with a lightweight tire carrier to use as a recovery point, this bumper is a great deal.

If you are looking for a bumper for a tow point, this is probably not the one for you.

991217130405_0_BG.jpg

713407130405_0_BG.jpg

1B.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Can you post a close up of the latch? I'm assuming it swings far enough off the side to open the hatch wig a fire on?

Larry, if you decide to get it, i might could get it to you. I need to find out within the next day or two, but i could be driving from clemson towards charleston this weekend and could throw it in the back of the truck and get it to you in lexington or something.

Below are some pictures of the bumper, latch, and mounting points. No problem with Steve coming to pick up the bumper. I'm a resident doctor, so I work long hours and I don't have a day off until Sept 17th. I could just leave the thing sitting on jack stands in my drive way. Its not super heavy, and easy to move with one person. You could either mail me check/MO or give it to Steve to leave under my doormat. Whatever you decide works with me.

I had it built with the short swing arm on the driver's because I always looked out my passenger rear for my blind spot, and my driver's mirror on my side. The short arm also minimizes leverage on the hinge and on the mounts, so there is no flexing of the bumper/mounts like on some bumpers with a full length arm. The u-bolt latch is unique, but was kind of necessary given the short arm, a clasp would have been difficult to get on there. I've just used a bungy cord to hold it open. It would be easy to add a t-handle latch to hold it open; i didn't cus I'm not a welder. Anyways, enjoy the pics. Let me know what you want to do.

kenny

latch.jpg
latch2.jpg
tailgateclearance.jpg
fullbumper.jpg
bumperoff.jpg
mountingpoints.jpg