Trailgator V2 build

some of you may have seen the red TJ trailer I already have. The quick and dirty story is that I had bought a wrecked TJ mainly for the tub to fit halftops and prototype fitting way back when we first started making halftops. I had just cut the front bent up frame horns off and welded some casters on it to move it around the shop. After we were done fitting the tops to it in the shop, I figured, we might as well make it a little more usable and mobile. So, we used the existing TJ frame and added a center tongue and some bracing and stuck a straight axle under it. We still use it in the shop now for a different prototyping of tops and I had really wanted to build another one that we could use to take to actual shows. The goal is to make one of the two trailers into:

a. a lighter weight frame - the first one the frame is insanely overkill and extremely tongue heavy because of the materials
b. incorporate some other GR8TOPS products into the build of the trailer
c. build some cool features into the trailer that could be functional use at Jeep vendor shows (grill, cooler, storage, TV panel display)
d. spray it up with bedliner inside, paint it up nice on the outside
e. make it versatile enough that I could mount a halftop or a full hardtop on it etc for display purposes

I must agree the red TJ trailer looks a bit redneckish but its very functional because I can pull it with the LJ to a show and display a TJ halftop and a full top on the LJ if needed. So, for the purpose of showing tops off, it really needs to have the actual windshield frame and door openings setup even though like I said it does have a redneckish look to it..

So.. I came across a steal on a marginal TJ tub that I couldn't resist. $100 for the tub and it had a few rust spots in floor boards and a small spot on the passenger side. Originally was only supposed to get the tub but the guy went ahead and gave me a good windshield frame (broken glass) and the TJ cowl piece. Its got a few dings in it here and there, but overall pretty good shape.

Had lots of old CJ spring plates, a set of CJ front leaf springs, TJ tailgate, wheels, tires, etc.. a fair amount of all the parts needed already.

So, follow along.. as we go to hopefully build at least something interesting...

Last edited:
Getting Started...

IMG_20110827_151122.jpg IMG_20110827_151133.jpg bought some 2 x 3 tubing for the basic frame, 2" square tubing for the tongue and a 2" x 4" tubing piece for the rear bumper.

A big thanks to Will (knobby97) on the forum here for helping and spending the whole day getting this rolling on Saturday.

we like plasma cutters...

Getting basic layout and tacking everything together..

Plasma cutter makes things nice and quick.. !!!! cutting a notch to bend in the front 2 tongue pieces to the center...

IMG_20110827_175052.jpg IMG_20110827_175332.jpg IMG_20110828_205156.jpg IMG_20110828_205214.jpg