Jeep 2.4L Turbo info

Chris Durham's sick srt4 powered rig. By far probably one of my favorite Jeeps. Just straight works.
IMG_4282.jpg

got any build thread or more into on the srt4 swap??? never heard anyone doin that yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh trust me, i have spent my last couple of computer hours on trying to find info on the srt4 swap. Someone whose on jeepforum and reno4x4 did it and it didnt seem to bad. Pretty much took a wrecked pt cruiser engine and swapped a lot of the turbo components onto his stock 2.4l. The srt turbo is different then a stock pt cruiser and would be an upgrade for it. He used a air to water intercooler, and an oil cooler for the air part. He (Air Sierra) was running about 6 to 8 psi with the stock 2.4l computer and said it was a blast. Chris said he was running a chrysler 904 transmission with his. It sounded so sick and seemed to straight work. On a trail rig it wouldnt be spooling to much until you loaded it up and let it eat but i still think it would be sick for a rig. Like marcus said, he didn't seem to want to talk to much about it, in fact he only said he had a 904, then when we compared it to running that tranny behind a 3800 he just said it was totally different and pretty much walked away.
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/ultima...odyear_tires_2004_jeep_wrangler_tj/index.html
http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthread.php/5362-Turbocharged-2.4L-Jeep-TJ-for-me!!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/turbocharged-2-4l-my-tj-333749/

Funny, as im typing this im watching the ultimate adventure on hd theater, chris durham popped up talking about cooking burritos on an engine while wheeling.

cool

steve thanks for info.......after thinkin about it more my mom had a pt cruiser and it was the biggest POS i have ever worked on...ill keep savin for LS i like v8s haha....

has skip posted anywhere sayin how much this ride helped? only word i seen from him was check out the news clip

Last edited:
Look at those links and around. The PT cruiser stuff i think is a little more ****ty then what came on the srt4 as they were meant for high hp. There is apparently people running 400hp comfortably with 100k miles. The guy who i posted his thread got a lot of miles on his with reliable good power with stock bottom end and computer. If you built up the internals a little and get the comp flashed, you could make hella power in a lightweight engine with power in the right rpms for crawling and hauling. V8s are overrated anyways.

Me too. Lighter and just the cool factor really.

These guys right here know 4 cylinder jeeps, and heres 30 pages of turbo talk and several build ups.
http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,3211.0.html

Also i've seen talk of people running an eaton m90 supercharger on them. You can find them off of a ford supercoupe for like 250. Im still looking into that but im wanting to say some people are saying they would put out about 15psi with stock pulley on a 2.5 which could be a disaster on a stock motor. 505performance.com makes some forged pistons and a few other things for it that would help keep it alive.

Last edited:
cool factor yes....but when it comes down to liabilty and cost and everything else id take a stock 4.0.....beat it to the balls and still run and also got some low end power instead of the turbo being alittle higher.....

look at it like the money u be spendin to make it the same hp as a 4.0 you could have put into something else just my 2 cents

robbie what do you know about turbos....haha. I mean its not like you've had some forced induction cars to prove you theories on....oh yeah you did lol. They are talking about those turbo 4's being reliable at 100k but a 4.0 is still reliable at 200k plus. Its a neat concept no doubt and fun to watch but turbos are fussy little suckers that i would rather not deal with unless money wasnt an object. I will however stand around and admire someone elses and take in the sweet sounds of boost.

Whatabout an Eaton m62, you can find them in junk yards off of Mercedes Kompressors for under 200. The ones off of the Kompressors come with a clutch which you can engage/disengage on demand. They use the Eaton M62 to supercharge the old Triumph TR6s. Just thought that might be another option as the TR6 has a 6 cyl of around 2.5L but the turbo can be used on engines up to 4 liters.

--Justin

Im not saying it would be more reliable then a 4.0, its proven for years how reliable and good of an engine it is, Im just saying you could definitely put boost on it and have decent power and not be scared to drive it anywhere. I think that the 2.5l doesnt get as much credit as it deserves. It's no power house, but it has good low end power and with the right gearing, i have always been able to keep up in traffic.

The easy thing to do would be to swap in a new engine, i know this. But i dont like being normal or doing **** easy. And honestly, you could piece it together and do it for probably around 1000, ive talked to several people who've done a 4.0 swap and were in it more then that.

I'm probably sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, but the Ford 2.3 turbo is very, very robust. My last one had 250,000 + miles and still ran like a champ. It can be bumped up to 2.5l with a Ford Ranger crankshaft. While you are at it, the Ranger roller cam is a direct replacement and frees up some ponies. There is also an extensive aftermarket for these engines. The best part is, they are dirt cheap. For reference, the Turbocoupe makes 220hp and 250ft/lbs bone stock.

A friend of mine put one in his Wrangler about ten years ago and loved it. Just my two cents.