Rear T-Case Yoke very hot ... why?

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Last weekend I did an SYE on my 2002 Jeep TJ. After the install, I drove it from Columbia to Greenville (2 Hours, no problems). Then on Thursday I drove it to Spartanburg to Carolina Driveline to have the rear driveshaft made and the front re-tubed. When they got under it to do some measurements, they pointed out how hot the rear yoke was. They thought it may be because it is so close to the muffler and there is no heat shield between the two. After some thought, I started to wonder if I messed up inserting the oil pickup tube into the oil pump inside the t-case when doing the SYE. So I convinced myself to crack it open again. I drove it back to columbia and opened it up. I took the yoke off and then just the back tail housing. From there I could push the oil pump up and see that the tube was seated. I even took some needle nose pliers and made sure. Then I even turned the t-case by hand and confirmed it was pumping oil. So, I put it back together. Then I made a heat shield that separates the muffler and t-case along with the yoke and top part of the driveshaft in an attempt to block the heat. I started the jeep and let it run and the heat shield worked well. So, back on the road to Greenville. I drove about 15 minutes and stopped for food. I checked the yoke again and sure enough, it was very hot again. What is going on? Is this something I should even be concerned about? I just have this bad feeling that this is a sign of something bad to come. Anyone?

No idea. When you sealed the tail housing, did you make sure not to put any RTV on the little channel that supplies the oil back to the case? If it makes you feel any better, I have now been through 3 tail shaft output seals and it still leaks like a (immature rather offensive lady humor inserted here)...

Is the pump properly seated? If the ears aren't in the right spot the it won't work correctly. Which brand SYE did you go with? Is the torque correct on the yoke nut? As for the mufflers, if it is close to the tcase I would suggest running a hush power muffler. They are skinner than a standard muffler and have the cool shell that let's you run the muffler close to things without the heat transferring. I've got the shorty on my TJ and it's run right next to the stak and there have never been any issues with heating the tcase.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Knobby: The SYE kit is from Advanced Adapters. I bought it from ECGS along with my 8.8. I don't see how it could be out of place. The tailhousing has machined slots for the ears. If the ears were out of place (pump rotated) the tailhousing would not seat properly and wouldn't seal. I confirmed that the heat isn't from the exhaust. I made a heat shield and it is working well, but yet after driving the shaft is hot. Yes the yoke nut was torqued to 150 ft/lbs.

06TJX: What channel? From what I can tell, the pump supplies oil out of the center where it mates to the shaft and I assume that oil works its way down the shaft to lube everything toward the back. Oh, mine don't leak. Maybe that's my problem.

Does anyone have a link to documentation of how the oiling system actually works. I can't find anything. I have followed all of the instructions found and I still have a hot shaft. I have driven the Jeep a total of 11 hours since the install. 6 since the second tear down/inspection. 2 of that was crawling, the rest at interstate speed. No noticeable side effects so far.

DSC08285.jpg

If you look at the picture above, you will see that there is a small circle for the front shaft of the TCase that needs oil. On the tail housing, it is easy to put too much RTV that clogs the channel that gets oil to that shaft.....

Did you put the rtv on like this?

DSC08302.jpg

Or did you seal all around that little stub of a shaft....

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Are you talking about the little half moon hole next to the base of the stubby shaft (right below the rtv tube in your picture)? I don't think I blocked it. But how would blocking that hole cause the shaft seen to the right to get hot? Oil would enter the tailhousing around the oil pump itself through the big gaping holes. Oil would not need to pass around that stub to lube the tail shaft. I must be misunderstanding. I really need help understanding how this whole oiling system works. It just doesn't make any since to me.