Short arm front/Long arm rear?

I have thought about this for years as ive seen several people run short arms with a large tire and a small lift. Rokmen has several rigs who are running short arms with no lift or a OME 2.5 lift on 37s, 4ds and even 42s and seem to love it. Of the wheeling i've done with my jeep, ive always thought the front worked great for the most part, and the rear needed attention. Ive wanted to stretch the rear a couple inches ever since i put 35s on it and wheeled it some, i just wanted more WB. Ive looked into a midarm lift too.

1. Could i stick with a short arm front with 1 upper (most likely on passenger side for driveshaft clearance reasons) and run long arms in the rear, single triangulated with a few inch stretch?
2. Currently running RE arms in front, anyway i could build some new short arms to gain an inch or two in the front or would it be better to just move mounts?
3. Are the stock control arm mounts strong enough for a heavier axle and bigger tires?
4. Would the rear over work the front or would it just be something to learn how to drive?
5. Would my RE front trackbar work or would a custom panhard bar be needed?

I want to keep it as low as possible, stock coil rear/v8 zj or OME soft front, with standard y link steering and a 1 inch body lift to help with other things. Bumpstopped and some sort of shock, would think a 12 front and 14 rear. I've known Chris Durham has ran this set up successful for years, and seeing him this weekend sparked the interest in my head again. Plan on doing rear suspension/axle first then do the front as most of this would be funded by the sale of current rear axle.

(disclaimer: I tend to ramble and overthink things sometimes, sorry im so scatterbrained)

I have thought about this for years as ive seen several people run short arms with a large tire and a small lift. Rokmen has several rigs who are running short arms with no lift or a OME 2.5 lift on 37s, 4ds and even 42s and seem to love it. Of the wheeling i've done with my jeep, ive always thought the front worked great for the most part, and the rear needed attention. Ive wanted to stretch the rear a couple inches ever since i put 35s on it and wheeled it some, i just wanted more WB. Ive looked into a midarm lift too.

1. Could i stick with a short arm front with 1 upper (most likely on passenger side for driveshaft clearance reasons) and run long arms in the rear, single triangulated with a few inch stretch?

You could stick with a short arm front as long as you dont go over 2" lift. After that your front wants to droop out and tuck under instead of climbing up vertical obstacles. If you are keeping short arms you would be able to reuse the stock upper brackets but I would recommend beefing them up. You should have no clearance issues with the link and your driveshaft, but the link and your exhaust may have some issues if you do a passenger mount. Also if you do a drivers side upper you have more room for trackbar mount.

2. Currently running RE arms in front, anyway i could build some new short arms to gain an inch or two in the front or would it be better to just move mounts?
you can sleeve the RE arms to lengthen them, or sleeve them and do a JJ on one end to gain some length

3. Are the stock control arm mounts strong enough for a heavier axle and bigger tires?
The stock control arm mounts in the frame are fairly beefy, but they hang down more than they need to.

4. Would the rear over work the front or would it just be something to learn how to drive?
you wouldnt notice, but after a short time i bet you do the front too

5. Would my RE front trackbar work or would a custom panhard bar be needed?
that depends on how you do your steering

I want to keep it as low as possible, stock coil rear/v8 zj or OME soft front, with standard y link steering and a 1 inch body lift to help with other things. Bumpstopped and some sort of shock, would think a 12 front and 14 rear. I've known Chris Durham has ran this set up successful for years, and seeing him this weekend sparked the interest in my head again. Plan on doing rear suspension/axle first then do the front as most of this would be funded by the sale of current rear axle.

(disclaimer: I tend to ramble and overthink things sometimes, sorry im so scatterbrained)

My comments inBOLD above

Also, I dont know if you can make enough to justify selling that 44. It may be worth it to keep running it.

Thanks for the reply brooks. Im going to look into it more. I guess i could always flex it out some after i get the rear in and see how i like it. I agree with the no more lift then 2 inches, I figure with just 2 inches over stock it would help me gain some more uptravel over just a stock spring.

Im selling my 44 mainly because i want to run 6 lug and deeper gears (5.13s not much different then 4.88s but every bit helps) also have a 44 that will bolt straight into a stock TJ, i cant see myself cutting off those brackets. I already have an 8.8 and plan on getting shafts like cameron did.

What would be the advantage/disadvantage to running a suspension set up like this?

you would have much better handling offroad under torque with the long arms in the rear over short arms, and as long as you keep it low the front shorts wont hurt you.

Sounds like a plan then. I can always link the front if i dont like how the front and rear act together. Thanks for the help.

Do you see anything wrong with having a truss like this as opposed to a fully boxed in truss like whats on your axle and caseys? Is there enough strength in the little weld surface from the tube on the axle tube to keep it from breaking?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12558975&postcount=143
Thread for reference: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680391&page=6

Another link: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12352565&postcount=122

Last edited:
I like the way that truss looks, thats what I planned on doing for my 8.8 down the road when I pull it out to 4 link it. Stephen Im running long arms in the front and SA rear. Opposite I know but I dont have any problems.

I am currently installing a PureJeep Stealth 5" Stretch which is basically a mid length arm in the rear (same length as a JK). Write up in the fabricator's forum.