Beautiful Willys went Crunch

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Well, last weekend when I went to Gulches for the Mega 4x4 competition, there was a nice Willys there. I do believe it was brought there by the Carolina Driveline guys (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). My dad has one of these that I have been trying to get ahold of forever. So when they were loading it up, I went over to take some pictures and talk to them. He said it was given to them out of a field. It was in pretty good shape.....

Now as the subject says ... it WAS in pretty good shape. The pictures you see here were taken about 40 minutes prior to all hell breaking loose for this little beauty.

I left the park about 30 minutes behind them. I made it about 4-5 minutes up the road and there it was crumpled up on the side of the road. It appeared that the little trailer it was on gave up the ghost and tossed it. I was having tire issues and was trying to get to the gas station before I had a flat. The police where there so I went on by. Once I got my tire situation figured out I turned around and headed back to see if I could lend a hand. That is when the Willys with trailer stacked on top went by on a flat bed. I turned around and caught up to it. Ended up next to it at a light so I took a couple pics (also shown below).

I don't know if these guys read this forum, but if you are here, my sympathies on the Willys and I hope you can dig up the strength to bring it back to life. It makes my gut hurt to see that happen to such a fine piece of Jeep history.

Before

After

Makes me wanna cry. Almost as bad as the stories my mom used to tell me about growing up on Fort Jackson and how when she turned 16 and started driving she could have bought one of those for like $300 and had plenty to choose from. :eeek:

Sad to see that.

hmm, I wonder if tom would come off that 2a now. I know he got a smoking deal on it. Those things are never a total loss. Plenty of good parts on that one and tubs are cheap/easy to build.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
It is parked in their shop. I was out there yesterday getting new driveshafts. The frame and engine looks good. The body is toast. Radiator is gone.