New toy

Well look what followed me home today . . .

IMG-20110809-00071-1.jpg

Scored it from govliquidation.com for $321.25 on a whim. It was one of those things where you bid on it once and if you win it, you win it, and if not you aren't butt hurt for loosing it.

Guess I'll start by putting it on a diet and figuring out which way to proceed from there. Beauty of it in it's current configuration is that it can be used as a dump trailer to help in my on going backyard landscaping fun.

Nice. they are bit heavier than their little borthers.
That they are but the little brother will fit inside. According to the data plate the entire M101A2 as she sits weighs 1370 lbs. Everything less the bed, the M116A2 trailer chasis, weighs in at 780 lbs according to the data plate. I figure that an easy 250 lbs can be shaved off by switching out the axle, surge brakes, lunette, and front landing leg. Figure I'll probably put a 3500 lb axle under it and convert the 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5 to match the JK. I've also seen where some folks ditch the coupler A frame and replace it with a boat trailer unit and ball coupler.

That is a very nice M101A2! They don't typically look that nice when they go to surplus. I would say it had been through depot for refurb recently or stored under cover and well cared for. One word of caution, look over the chassis for the stenciled word "CARC". CARC, Chemical Agent Resistant Coating, is a robust paint that was designed to not readily absorb chemical warfare agents. There are respiratory health hazards associated with CARC application and removal. Spend a couple of bucks on a good dust filter mask before you sand or grind on it.

That is a very nice M101A2! They don't typically look that nice when they go to surplus. I would say it had been through depot for refurb recently or stored under cover and well cared for. One word of caution, look over the chassis for the stenciled word "CARC". CARC, Chemical Agent Resistant Coating, is a robust paint that was designed to not readily absorb chemical warfare agents. There are respiratory health hazards associated with CARC application and removal. Spend a couple of bucks on a good dust filter mask before you sand or grind on it.
I thought the same thing when I found it on the net. It came from the SCARNG and looks to have been refurbed in 2005 if it was repainted and the same time, which they normally do. I am a little too familiar with CARC paint but thanks for the heads up. I can still remember smelling the awful CARC paint stench from the paint booth at the Fort Carson DOL that was across the street from my motor pool whe I was stationed there.