Fire Extenguisher tech

What does everyone run for fire extinguishers? I'm thinking about getting a larger one to keep in the jeep because i dont think the kiddie one I have will actually save much...

anyone have any suggestions or comments?

also looking for a good mounting system. I know StinkyFab has a pretty cool mount

http://www.stinkyfab.com/index2.html

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have the small auto one from Walmart in a neoprene pouch that straps to the cage in the sami. Other vehicles I just have them stuck under the seat.

i have a smaller one.. works good.. i used it on a guy with a power steering leak caught his engine on fire..
it wasnt a foam but a power that came out.. i got a new one since then. unless your jeep goes in full blaze i dont see the need for a big one!

i run a 7.5 lb one behind the seats and will be adding two 2.5lb ones infront of each seat. The small ones won't put out much. There are a lot of people making those tabs like SFR. Cool way to hold a small extinguisher. For a larger one, a CO2 mount works well. Those or a couple of the strong arm mounts.

Powder extinguishers make a real mess of things when they're used. CO2 and Halon are much better choices for off-roading - they say it's not human friendly (for obvious reasons) but if you've got a fire, you're very likely to be out (or WANT to be out) of the vehicle. Not too much of a concern for open top Jeeps.

Water is not a good idea, unless you use the Foam+Water extinguishers.

JP

I have a small guy up front and a 5 lb in the back. Small fry fits in a drink holder perfectly in the FJC. 5 lb'r is mounted with 1 Super Quick Fist. In the FJ55 I have two small guys up front.

I have the small guy up front in easy reach and the 5 lb'r for backup. The small guy doesn't last long but it 'might' get the job done or at least knock flames down to get someone out.

I was involved with trying to put a minivan out several years ago. The driver was paralyzed from the waist down (prior to the accident) and the small fry gave us some time to keep the flames down while I ran back for my 5 lb'r. IIRC we went through about half a dozen extinguishers, including a few large ones from adjacent businesses. They still weren't enough to keep things under control before the fire dept arrived. The van was a complete loss but the driver was removed A-OK at least.

Halon sounds like such a good idea, and then you see prices EEK!!!

clippa what kind is the 7.5 you carrY?
Here you go Brooks:
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?t...xtinguishers&form_prod_id=4238&action=product

Expensive, but after seeing what dry chemical does to virtually any material, SPA AFFF is well worth the money. Porsche uses a remote system in the Cup Cars. It rinses right out w/o damaging anything, whereas dry chem melts or rusts everything it touches.

I'm just sayin'.

I found out about Columbia Fire and Safety when I worked with the pavement marking company. We would go there to get the tanks refilled or either buy a new one with company credit. They supply fire extinguishers for every company vehicle from 1/4 ton pickups all the way to 18 wheeled truck and trailers running built in propane and oil heating systems. They seem like good people to deal with.

got an email back from the guys at Columbia fire and safety.

Mr. Bickley,

Please let me apologize for my delay getting back to you and thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

I think that your instinct is correct. I would recommend a slightly larger extinguisher than a 1 # unit. A 2.5 # extinguisher is pretty typical for a personal vehicle. The ones we have in stock come standard with a vehicle bracket at $52.12 each including the certification. If you would prefer a little more protection, a 5lb unit with a vehicle bracket is $69.64 including the certification.

We can have someone perform a fire extinguisher training class but we typically charge for that. I do have a written lesson plan (so to speak) that helps people follow along during a training class. I have attached a copy. Keep in mind that this is usually used when giving a class so some of the verbiage refers to the class. If you would like an in person class that includes hands-on fire extinguishers use, the cost is $200 + the cost of the recharges. Recharges are approximately $20 per extinguisher.
he gave me a good lesson plan for a class, we could even do it ourselves. I think the $200 is a bit steep for our budget, but we could talk about it. I think I will be getting an extinguisher from them though.

Ok so Maybe I can ad some tech to this discussion. Fires are identified in classes. A being wood paper and normal stuff in your house. B being petro chemical. C being electrical. D is metal fires. CO2 is only for electrical fires (not petro chemical) not good for car fire. Halon is an extinguishing ament for special hazard applications. IE off shore drilling rigs. The reason it is so expensive is because it is not manufactured any more. Discontinued by the 1994 Montreal act. Halon also not good for car fire. The best extinguisher for a vehicle fire is going to be an ABC dry powder extinguisher. Yes it is a corrosive but can be cleaned off with water quite quickly.

got an email back from the guys at Columbia fire and safety.

he gave me a good lesson plan for a class, we could even do it ourselves. I think the $200 is a bit steep for our budget, but we could talk about it. I think I will be getting an extinguisher from them though.
Let me know if you want help with a class??

Last edited:
There is also some sort of imitation Halon that they are using in extinguishers now. It has many different brand names like Halatron and Halgard.