Gulches Mega 4x4 Charity Event & Raffle August 6th

Yes it is getting close. We are getting real excited as more and more teams are signing up. So far we have two classes -Mild and Wild. But we will open a stock class if we need to. This is an event anyone with any or no experience can compete in.

If you have not witnessed this unique style of rock crawling competition you must make this event. Drivers throw the rock crawling book right out the window. There is no path they have to take they just have to move a tennis ball from one orange cone to another. They are not allowed to get out of the vehicle, touch a cone or drop the ball.

All competitors entry fees are going to the American Cancer Society, who through their efforts in Miami FL, kept my father alive for 5 more very precious years. Along with entry fees 100% of the raffle tickets are going to them as well. Top prize again for the 6th year is a set of BF Goodrich tires -- your choice up to 35". We will have several other great prizes from our wonderful sponsors.

Park opens at 10am and competition starts at about 11 am. Spectators are welcome all courses are within walking distance. And for you night owls we will stay open till midnight.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Larry ... you going to bring the Sami? I'll be your spotter/tennis ball grabber if you want to compete. I'll cover the entry. Let me know.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Skip, Just a heads up. The flyer on your website is informative about the event but it doesn't have the date of the event. Only times. The title says "Gulches 6th Mega 4x4 ...", but I don't think that is the date but the 6th annual. I may be wrong but it isn't clear. The calendar of events link does say the date.

I'm looking forward to it. Sounds like a lot of fun. If Larry doesn't need me in his rig, I'll need to find someone to ride with me. Any takers?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Greg, how good of a monkey are you? If you want to do it that'd be good. Burgundy competed with me last year but she said if I could find somebody else she'd be good with watching this year. It was the most fun event we've competed in at Gulches. We came in third last year. Three teams got perfect scores but we were slowest of the three. This year I can turn :).

If you want to cover the $40, I'll get the rest up to $75 to get the bonus points.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'm the definition of Monkey. But I don't want to get in the middle of a couples activity. That's up to you guys.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
No, it's fine. She'll be much happier getting to sit in the shade and if I can get the A/C fixed in the XJ before then she might bring it up and ride around.

I just returned from the 4 Wheel Parts store of Charlotte, and once again they loaded me up with over $1000.00 of 4x4 stuff. From a highlift jack and a Smity-Built recovery bag with all the needed things to help get you out of a stuck. There must be 15 other things that any off roader would love to have. We really appreciate Ryan Will and Aaron supporting our park the way they do. We also need to show them how much we appreciate them by giving their store in Charlotte a first chance to earn your business. Please call them first,...tell'em Gulches sent you. 704 525 2224

And of course First prize, as always, from our friends at BF Goodrich, they have for the 6th time donated a certificate for 4 tires your choice up to 35".

I have a couple more stops to make to collect more goodies.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Thanks to Skip and the rest of the crew for putting on a great event. It was a blast! I hope you raised a good amount of money for the charity. And just to let everyone know, Mid Carolina Jeepers was represented well .... and did well. We won first place in both classes. Larry and me in the mild class in his Sami, Tracy and (sorry, don't know his Monkey's name) in the wild class in his Rubicon. Miller also showed everyone how it's done but had a Monkey mishap in the first course. Great job guys. I had a blast and enjoyed hanging out with everyone.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
WooHoo! Greg was pretty amazing. Definitely would not have done that well without you. I'll post the videos here as soon as I can.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Me and Greg:
[video=youtube;gOy4vNp2ejo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOy4vNp2ejo[/video]
[video=youtube;_mZcuBOBk30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mZcuBOBk30[/video]

Miller:
[video=youtube;vCiX91unAQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCiX91unAQU[/video]
[video=youtube;O1TzZ-X_3tE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1TzZ-X_3tE[/video]

Tracy:
[video=youtube;FNzVhDthDFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNzVhDthDFU[/video]
[video=youtube;TUx0iGEkH4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUx0iGEkH4s[/video]

I don't understand "bummer" this is a very worthwhile charity. The poker run gets more folks involved and therefore raises more money for the charity. Recently the interest in competition type events has been non existent. Without competitors there is no show and no spectators. The days of me begging folks to compete are over.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Definitely a worthwhile charity. I'm all for charity. But I'm also for a little consistency. It's hard to build a following of any event if the format changes each year. I have been talking up the tennis ball competition for the last year because we had a blast. I know for a fact that our club was going to work hard to get as many club members as possible to compete. We are all for supporting SC trail systems as much as possible. Now we have to step back and rethink it. I also know someone that has tried his hardest to attend that event each year and be competitive, but had to shift gears once because you changed tire size classes and now the event isn't even happening. I will probably be there for the poker run if that is what is going on, but this is my constructive feedback .... even though your post was not overly polite.

First of all if you have followed our last 7 charity events you would know that we have changed the venue every year. I apologize if you felt I was impolite and that your club has been wasting their time practicing for a charity event that we may never ever repeat. We may do that event style again but probably never for a charity event because we did not have enough folks interested. More folks seemed to feel they could be involved with a less demanding event to show their support for the charity we have selected. Second, since this is a charity event not a Gulches event the charity coordinators really have most of the input for the type of event we hold for them. I suggest different formats but they pick what they want us to do. This is why our charity events have been different every year. Hopefully in the near future their will be a return of interest for purer competitions like the Mega 4x4 Challenge, the Blind Driver events, Gulches Got Talent, Powder Puffs and the tennis ball event. But as I stated before I refuse to beg for competitors, get a half-hearted commitment, and then have 90% of them not show up.

Once again you confuse me by the "We are all for supporting SC trail systems as much as possible. Now we have to step back and rethink it." What are you trying to say. Because we change our venue each year for a charity event "WE" aren't going to support SC trail systems.