New Jeep owner

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
So, I finally own a Jeep. I picked up a '94 XJ 4-door Sport, cosmetically rough, but mechanically sound from my brother-in-law. He bought it from the original owner a few months ago and only drove it 170 miles. They're moving and can't take it with them.

1311554780.jpg

I haven't really gotten to check it out yet. I'm just amazed it hasn't caught on fire from the original owners wiring and the AC controls under the dash are supposedly melted. That's the first project...

This will be more of a driver than a crawler. I've been wanting something that I can drive when I don't feel like trailering the Sami. It'll be a Bumpus, Clemson 4wheel poker run, and occasional 33/Gulches trip rig, and around town beater.

I'm planning on 4.5" lift and either 32x11.50 or 33x10.50, but it will all depend on what I can find used and cheap.

Attachments

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I might have gotten really luck with this thing. I messed with it a little tonight. I pulled all the non-factory fuses to prevent it from catching fire... Then removed the broken hood deflector thingy, and started pulling the fancy in car cell phone thing it had from 1994...

I found out it has the 8.25 rear, and it has a nice receiver hitch with 7-pin wiring plug. I just requested a build sheet from Jeep customer service and I'm hoping its a factory tow package. That should mean bigger radiator, trans cooler, and limited slip rear.

I might have gotten really luck with this thing. I messed with it a little tonight. I pulled all the non-factory fuses to prevent it from catching fire... Then removed the broken hood deflector thingy, and started pulling the fancy in car cell phone thing it had from 1994...

I found out it has the 8.25 rear, and it has a nice receiver hitch with 7-pin wiring plug. I just requested a build sheet from Jeep customer service and I'm hoping its a factory tow package. That should mean bigger radiator, trans cooler, and limited slip rear.
Be glad found one with the factory tow package. From reading the specs, the only thing you may want to upgrade would be the front axle shafts, but then again I've seen the older 260X ujoints handle 35's. For what you're doing you should be fine. 96+ has the larger 297's vs. the 260's. I see them in PAP all the time. You've got a tough little machine out of the box with a lot of potential. :smokin:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I just got the build sheet from Jeep. Pretty impressed since I sent the request late last night.

It is factory tow package and says aux transmission cooler and heavy duty cooling. It's a 3.55 and doesnt say anything about limited slip, so I'm going to assume its not until I have a reason to pull the cover.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
So is 3.25" backspacing too little for 15x8" wheels on an XJ? I want a wider stance, but don't want to cause serious fender clearance issues or ball joint / wheel bearing issues...

Nah, you'll be fine. If it was a 10" wide wheel it would possibly cause some premature BJ wear.

The good thing is you won't have to worry about the tire rubbing the CA's to bad. Worst case you might have to do a little fender trimming, but that's commonplace with Xj's anyway.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've collected enough now that I think I can put together a list of what I still need to do the lift.

What I have:
Iron Rock 4" front springs
Rusty's adjustable LCAs
RE adjustable UCAs
JKS adjustable trackbar
Wheels

Already lined up:
Rusty's steering
front shocks
Front sway bar disconnects

Still need:
Rear springs 3.5 - 4.5" or AAL + shackles
SYE or TC drop + shims
Extended brake lines
rear shocks
32x11.50 MTs (maybe 31s, maybe 33s, just depends on the deal)

If you have any parts available or see them listed somewhere, please let me know.

Last edited:
most xjs I have seen run the 4 or 4.5" backspacing so that the tire tucks into the fender.
The only major problem with that is the clearance between the tire and lower control arms at full lock. I've seen it so bad that about 25% of the turning radius is lost. XJ's really don't come with ANY wheel well room to speak of. IMO it's always better just to start cutting away interfering sheet metal than worry about tucking. But then again looks have always took a back seat to performance on all of my rigs. :grin:

Larry, I doubt you'll need a drop pitman arm, if you do you can swap on a ZJ arm for more drop. TC drop can be good and bad. Longer bolts plus flimsy sheet metal inserts can mean failure. It's rare but I've seen it. You can always cut the shock mounts off the rear axle and relocate them farther up on the axle tube. Gain clearance and keep the stock shocks.

Great decision on the CA's. Adjustable is always better.

I went to Hartsville last Saturday to pick up an axle then back to Lexington, i could of picked up those wheels and tires for you. My girlfriend has a 96 XJ that she wont be driving for the next 2 years i've been thinking about throwing a budget boost on for a Henry hauler and to have 4 doors when i need it just from the stuff i have laying around the shop.