Tires, your opinion

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've been thinking about tires lately. I'm trying to figure out what ones to go with. My TJ currently has 31" all terrains on it. I've been very surprised at how well they do but it's coming time to put some serious meat under it. I'm planning on a lift (4" long arm and 1" body lift) so bumping up to 37" or so should not be a problem (your opinion on this is welcome also). But looking around, I have come across the Nitto Mud Grappler

and the Trail Grappler

I really like the Mud Grappler. Not only the looks, but I really think the large lugs would do well on the rocks. What do you think? Any input and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Dont buy creepys if its your DD or if you plan on spending a lot of time on road. I think nitto tires are overpriced personally. BFG and goodyear are where its at.

I have a pair of BFG KM2s on my FJC with probably about 8k miles or so on them. Previously I had Nitto ATs. I'm pretty happy with the KM2s so far. They grip much better off road than the ATs and are pretty quiet on the road too on my DD.

Like mentioned above, don't buy creepies if you plan on driving your rig on the street. I had a set a few years back and they are great on the rocks and I never drove them on the street due to the soft bias compound.

KM2s are a solid bet and you won't be let down for dual use. I used to run the old style mt/r's and liked them for use on trail and street, but I don't have any experience with the new mt/r k's.

KM2s seem to be the best road + being awesome off road tire out there right now. No, they aren't gonna be quiet like the Michelin's on your momma's Buick but that is why you have a radio knob. A/Ts are great tires until you get into any kind of mud, then its game over.

Dunno about the initial tires you posted, but I've only seen them on street rigs, never seen them off road. I really think they are made to be a "flashy" tire for on road vehicles with bigger rims.

Goodyear, not very impressed with them. The Duratracs have a great all around tread but have very thin sidewalls. You know its bad when your friend texts you and says he just sliced 3 of his 4 Duratracs while on the rocks (never had a problem sidewall wise with his BFG ATs). The MT/Rs still are crap in the mud. Hit up lower Georgia with that sand/mud dismal mixture and you might as well pull cable.

Lastly, if you don't care about bling, the Dunlop Radial Rovers have always been good tires. General Grappers M/Ts are good traction tires but it sounds like four banshees are screaming under your rig at all times.

The best tread design I've ever owned of any tire is the Truxxus MT by Interco and the BFG KM1. Both are nearly impossible to get now unfortunately. Everyone is going to have an opinion on a certain make of offroad tire but when it comes down to it, it's the traction surface cleanout characteristics and the sidewall traction and durability that is key. Longevity is very important too so go radial. If I had the money to spend I'd probably go with a KM2 considering my other favorites are out of reach.

Km2's all the way.. they have a nice flat grippy tread when aired down. 37s with out doing an axle swap wont be a smart decision. 35s is as tall as you could go without modifing the body. just my opinion.

Mark

I like my MTR/k, so far what Ive hard them in they have been nice. Mud had no problems, street they are quite, wet pavement they are nice, rock have not had them in yet. I have 285s and the only problem Ive had is they take alot of weight to balance and I dont seem to have any problems there. They roll down the road fine. One other thing about them is to make sure you get the black walled ones. I dont really like the white outline. It is what it is though. Im ready to offroad with them and air them down to and see how they really work offroad.

Ive heard bad things about Km2s weak sidewalls dont do well in mud,snow/ice. But I cant say really only what Ive heard with some people that run them.

Also before you buy any tires check and make sure of your rim size. Why you might ask, take a good look at prices of the 15,16, and 17" tires. I just looked at tirerack and there was a big difference between them. 17s seem to be the highest if I remember right. I wont be going with 16s again Ill look towards 15s. I know 15s might be going out of style, they might be harder and harder to find but if they still offer the size I want then Ill be getting them (33x1050, 33x1250, maybe oneday 35x1250).

no.. you re right.. mud and ice/snow.. they suck.. totally agree! i did windrock in the snow and i thought i was gona die! lol
But if you're more of a mudder.. id say..Swamper.. if you want rocks/mud/sand MTR/K's have dropped in price.
Check out tirerack.com or tires-easy.com for some good prices

I have had a good experience with my KM2s I cant stand mud grapplers just because of the poser rep they have and how I see them on every street jeep/truck ever created. I would also suggest the new mtrs with kevlar I have heard some good reviews of them.

Another yay for KM2s. Ive run 2 sets and have been real happy with them. Also ran Trxus MTs, they hooked up well too but are far more expensive and a lot louder on the road.

I have had a good experience with my KM2s I cant stand mud grapplers just because of the poser rep they have and how I see them on every street jeep/truck ever created. I would also suggest the new mtrs with kevlar I have heard some good reviews of them.
i remember seein mud grapplers on nitto buggies when they 1st came out a few yrs ago but since then i couldnt run them and drive around town and not feel like a poser. atleast mud grapplers come with a free set of KMC rockstars tho...

I run GY duratracs on my DD taco in a 33 and i like them from the 6 or 7k ive got on them so far. They are by no means an aggressive mud terrain tire but i like them a lot better then the bfg all terrains ive ran in the past for a road worthy tire. KM2's are sweet but i wouldnt run them in anything bigger then a 35, i just think there 37s tread depth looks to shallow, it may be just as deep but from my eye-o-meter they look shallow. I plan on running 37s on my TJ as it will be my wheeler/cruiser and the 3 tires ive considering are the MTR kevlars, Blue label Krawlers, and the Pitbull rockers in a bias. The MTR's are the least aggressive of the bunch but i've heard good things about them so far, and i know they suck in mud but i try to avoid it as much as i can although being from the wonderful SE i know that wont happen completely. Pitbulls are a gnarly *** tire and i've heard lots of people say good things about it, but ive also heard they dont measure to a true 37 a lot of the times, where as the MTR is known to be a true to size tire, unlike the old ones. Krawlers are a proven tire and with the blue labels you can still manage to put some road miles on them and not kill them to fast, Reds are the stickys and will die quick if driven much on road.

Depending what all your rig is meant to be, could check out the cooper STT's as well. They seem to be a pretty good mix of on road with some offroad.

Are you gearing for 37's, and are your axles up to it? KM2's all the way, but price sometimes has has something to do with it. Right now, 35" MTR's are < $200 from tire rack with $80 rebate for 4. NO Nittos!

Asking this question on tires is like starting a debate on Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge or Jeep vs Toyota etc. etc. etc....... But, opinions are needed to help make an educated guess at what to buy so I understand you asking. However, unless I missed it, I didn't see the single most important questions asked.... "what kind of terrain do YOU wheel in? What kind of use is the Jeep goign to be specifically?, If you DD it, how far of a drive is it? It's kind of hard to compare apples to oranges. Someones bad expierience with noise or ride quality is not even worth mentioning if this Jeep will end up being trailered to the trail, just as someones opinion on cut sidewalls in the rocks wont matter if it only sees DD and fire road / Expo type use.... Shine some light on what the specific use of the Jeep will be after the long arm kit is installed and I will be glad to help give you some personal expierience opinions.

Mike

I agree with pileofparts, I didnt ask it either. All around tire My vote is for Mtr/k. Would I try Km2s? Sure would oneday. If your trailering go straight to the rockers, I have no experience with them only from what Ive read. Alot of good press on those, you know not paper press but wheeler press.

Goodyears Mtr/k was rumored to have problems with their molds. I have not read that anywhere and probably wont either, but my tires take alot to balance. I think most of my tires have about 5-6 oz on the outside and 1.75-3 oz on the inside. Not sure if that is from molding issue but they roll fine down the road occasionally they seems to be bias ply tires as in steering wheel will shake for no longer than a minute till tires warm up(it seems). I would buy MTR/ks again. Id buy km2s. I might go for Mtr first due to the experience with them.