Why Basic hand tools are necessary on any trip....off or on road

Tha fam and I are taking a trip this weekend to West Virginia. on the way up yesterday, we started hearing a whoosh whoosh sound coming from the rear passenger tire. well after we got out of the mountians and on some flat ground, I jacked up the wifes Liberty, and pulled the wheel off.

The issue? Well the top rear bolt that holds the caliper to the axle is missing...no idea where it went.

No tools, no spare parts, notta.

Anyone ever been to the mountians of West Virginia? Nothing...notta for miles and miles. nearest Napa/AutoZone/Advanced/Dealership is 45 miles away.

Called all the parts stores I could find online, none have the part I need, nor can the get it in the next few days before we leave.

With No hand tools, I can not even take the other bolt out and get it to a hardware store to find a replacement. Its not like I cant drive her, but I dont feel its all that safe, nor do I want to do any more damage then is already done.

So, I recommend finding out the basics of what your vehicle uses for parts like Hub Bolts, Wheel Studs, Brake bolts and anything else that can come loose, the tools needed to install them, lots of LocTight, and keep them with you at all times...

good advice

its a 12mm socket to take the caliper bolt out, do you have an adjustable? or pliers or a multitool or anything? Wish I could help ya.

I have a tool box that I've assembled over the last 15 years dating back to when I roadraced motorcycles. It progressed through 4 Jeeps the last 9 years and recently was updated for my lawn equipment and now for my Waverunner. If this tool box can't do it then it's a repair that couldn't be done roadside anyway.

Harbor freight is selling a 112 piece tool set for like $40
keep that in your LJ

basic crappy tools that will do the job and if they get stolen you dont feel ripped off

I would also suggest a tool bag instead of a box. Alot less noise of the tools rattling around ;)

I keep the basics, screwdrivers, open end wrenches. I also ahve my hub socket and the racket end for it. Allen and torx head wrenches are one of those things you never think of until you bust something. They turn out to be very important.

Yep...all important....I will be making one for each vehicle when I get back....

Rampage makes a cool toolbox that looks like a jerry can....might think about that and keep it on my rig.....

I would also suggest a tool bag instead of a box. Alot less noise of the tools rattling around ;)

I keep the basics, screwdrivers, open end wrenches. I also ahve my hub socket and the racket end for it. Allen and torx head wrenches are one of those things you never think of until you bust something. They turn out to be very important.
I've learned to keep specialty tools and parts like hub sockets, shrader valves, wiring, etc.