converting ac compressor to fill air tank?

yes, I helped two people do it on cherokees. There are some good writeups online. i'll see if I can dig them up.

the biggest problem with the stock sanden compressors is that they require an in line oiler.

I've got my stock AC converted to an OBA system. Here's a video that might help. It's an easy job. ...I don't have an air tank though.

[video=youtube;PSM8UA4DL-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSM8UA4DL-g[/video]

A/C is more important than having air in your tires...
Yep!
It's not as fast, but I got a viair 380c on eBay new $150.
It's 2.5cfm 100% duty at 200psi, 2gal tank under the jeep and it will do all 4 tires from flat to 30psi in 10-15 min. I got $225 in the whole setup, and it's not overkill. I'm a tech, and speaking from experience, realistically how often do you need to run air tools on the trail? Never! There's barely enough room in the back for recovery equipment and hand tools! Not to mention how it's nice to have AC when it's cookin hot!

I helped Rich Ivie do his setup. More like observed. Best way to go about it is to find and old shop air compressor in good working order and strip every component including the tanks and adapt it together. Piecing it together from scratch can be pricey. With an old complete air compressor lying around to disassemble it does make it easier to figure out as well.

Oh, if you really want to do a serious OBA then grap an air brake compressor from any old international. The duty is 100% and it's nearly 9cfm. There are no shortage of 4600 international dumps, or school busses around. Grab one then just figure out the mounting bracket.

No I was not trying to belittle the AC comp. idea, but pointing out that there are easier ways, and less arduous things to think of!

I have used one of those before, and it now resides in my AATV storage box. Not recommended for big tires! At least I don't recommend it for big tires. They get hot fast, and are not water friendly at all!

Now if the rig you got is just a trail rig then gO for the compressor mod, but I always try to deter people from doing it to a daily driver.

Oh, if you really want to do a serious OBA then grap an air brake compressor from any old international. The duty is 100% and it's nearly 9cfm. There are no shortage of 4600 international dumps, or school busses around. Grab one then just figure out the mounting bracket.

No I was not trying to belittle the AC comp. idea, but pointing out that there are easier ways, and less arduous things to think of!
Are you refering to a york?

When the time's right I think I'm going the easy route to keep my a/c since it blows so cold. I was fortunate enough to pick up a rear bumper that's set up to double as an air tank complete with fittings. VIAIR here I come!

If I had no kids, I would sell both tops and go free!
I would probably still have a few Other toys I got rid of.
I actually have a customer looking at his options, but I may be installing the York kit in his here shortly.

From Kilby?

PLEASE GET THE MEASURMENTS AND MAKE A BRACKET !!! I do not want to spend the $$ for Kilby's bracket...way to expensive...

Yep, I'll be working on that if the job comes through. This guy is looking at $1700 for parts, with what all he wants done. I just did his quote of $900 labor. He wants all digital gauges, 4 line connections on all the corners, as well as it all being run in 1/2" DOT line. I hope he decides to do it. He may have me add a kit to his 2500GMC service truck.

When the time's right I think I'm going the easy route to keep my a/c since it blows so cold. I was fortunate enough to pick up a rear bumper that's set up to double as an air tank complete with fittings. VIAIR here I come!
I still have the stainless line that runs from the engine compartment to the bumper, I forgot to give it to you. The next time your in Sumter swing buy and pick it up.