Rebuild or replace

Well i thought i could limp along the yota after finding out that i had a slight head gasket leak but i was wrong. I was starting out for a road trip and about 20 miles from the house i come to a stop at a red light and im passed by a huge cloud of white smoke. I look out the door and to no surprise its coming from my tail pipe. Well after saying every cruse word that came to my head i turned around and headed back home. The temp gauge going up the whole way home. Well i get back home and park the truck and i can here the radiator boiling, so im almost sure the head is warped (22R). My question is 1)can i just get by with a new head or 2) am i due for a whole rebuild and if so on a rebuild should i just replace the motor because ive never rebuilt one before. Also im on very limited funds because im in college and tuition is coming up in the fall so i cant spend i bunch of money on it but i dont really want to cut corners.

Thanks in advance,
JDJ

You can probably find a replacement 22r for next to nothing that should get you by, I see them on nc4x4 all the time, or someone around here may have one laying around. A lot of people who wheel with that motor just replace them when they need to because they are so cheap and plentiful.

If your going to rebuild it, i wouldnt skimp on it and rebuild cheap or you'll end up doing it again very soon down the road. David's 22re is a stout motor so definitely talk to him. Also could look into running a 20r on your 22r block. Its done a lot to get higher compression but there is a little involved with it.

I saw rebuild it. Not that hard, and if you can find a rebuilder core first you can leave the old one in the truck and not worry bout how long it will take to rebuild and the chance of forgetting how to put things back together in the engine bay. For my 22re rebuild, i did the head, all machine work with all new enginebuilder parts, belts, hoses, injectors rebuilt and a new radiator for about $1200. It was an easy motor to rebuild and you have the knowledge of what is new and not worry if that used motor will blow up after you install it. Given a rebuilt motor can also blow up just as easy. If you rebuild take your time and it goes by real quick.

well i cant use the 20R head the guy gave me, come to find out the motor in the truck must be a junk yard special. I know its a late block (an 86 i think but im not positive) cause its got the oOo cast on the driver side and the way the water pump is shaped. Ive only got 600-700 to spend on the rebuild as of right now unless i run into some extra money down the road. Whats making me wasn't to replace the motor is i've found a place that's selling 22r long blocks for 600 with a core exchange but im i little iffy on how reliable the place is

heres what i found (yea i know its a CL ad)
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/2457007626.html

yea i saw that, i found a guy selling a 22r and trans out of a 2wd up in hendersonville for 400, he says the motor is in a 89 and only has 65000 on it also i pretty sure its still in the truck b/c he also has a price for the whole truck