March 8th: Forest Service meeting to save trails

Hey everyone. I'm planning on heading to the forest service meeting on March 8th in NE Georgia. The meeting place is about an hour from Clemson and is taking place on a Tuesday night. I was wondering if anyone would want to carpool or go with me to the meeting. I know someone from SOLAROS (southern land rover owners society) may be going. I figure the more representation we offroaders have the better. I dunno if we could get a club email sent out to let some of the members who aren't on this board know about this meeting. Just leme know what ya'll think.

--Justin

This is from Solaros's forum, but its the same thing 97TJGUZZY mentioned above. The closest meeting spot is in

7:00 p.m.
North Georgia Technical College, Clegg Building auditorium
1500 Highway 197 N
Clarkesville, GA 30523

I just figure I want to get my/our opinion heard so they don't shut down the forest service roads claiming there was no opposition to the idea, which is what happened to most if not all of Caney Fork outside Cullowhee NC.

--Justin

Gainesville, GA– The USDA Forest Service today announced a series of meetings to provide opportunities for public discussion on the long-term management of recreation trails on the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest. The meetings are the beginning of a new collaborative effort to understand the desires and expectations of trail recreationists and to develop a common understanding of the natural resource management issues and needs.

“We hope this will bring about strong partnerships to ensure the forest has a sustainable trail system,” said George Bain, Forest Supervisor of the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest. “Through collaboration, we will be able to better address the needs and improve enjoyment of trail users. We also hope to improve the condition of our trails system, protect watersheds, and help sustain local economies benefitting from these popular recreation activities.”

Information on the trail system is currently available in all Forest Service offices and on the website at http://www.fs.usda.gov/conf under the section entitled “Recreation”. The agency will share further detailed information about the trail system during the public meetings. “We hope that the public will share what they know and help identify issues that need to be addressed,” Bain said. “This will help us continue to provide a diverse, quality trail system that is sustainable well into the future.”

These meetings are open to all and will be held at five convenient locations to give the public several opportunities to participate. Each meeting is designed to be the same. To further encourage participation, the Forest Service is using new media tools in conjunction with the public meetings. Please sign up to follow the Forest Service on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ChattOconeeNF.

Providing multiple opportunities for public participation ties directly to President Obama’s call for open government that is transparent, participatory and collaborative, and illustrates Forest Service commitment to engage the public in the management of National Forests.

The mission of the USDA Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation's forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations. Encompassing around 867,000 acres across 26 counties, the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest provides the finest outdoor recreation opportunities and natural resources in Georgia. Featuring nearly118,000 acres of designated Wilderness, more than 800 miles of recreation trails, and dozens of campgrounds, picnic areas, and other recreation activity opportunities, these lands are rich in natural scenery, history and culture. The Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest is part of the Southern Region, with the Forest Supervisor’s office in Gainesville, Georgia, managing four District units in Blairsville (Blue Ridge District), Lakemont (Chattooga River District), Chatsworth (Conasauga District), and Eatonton (Oconee District).

I've only heard that Casey may attend, no other news. There are several people who have responded to the facebook event though. I think we'll get some offroaders to show up to the meeting.

Last edited by a moderator: